(Based on trip reviews)
Starting from: Jomsom
Ending at: Jomsom
Grade: Easy plus
Highest access of the trek: 4280 m.
Culture encounter: Thakali
Trekking type: Teahouse
Himalayan sights: Annapurna Region
Most Attraction of the trek: Cave monastery
Best Seasion: March, April, May, September, October & November
Meal: Menu choice (breakfast, lunch, & Dinner)
Transportation: By bus/car / air
Minimum Group Size: 1
Per day Walking: 5 to 7 hours
Itinerary type: Customized
Upper Mustang Budget Trek is famous trekking to understand Thakali culture, ruler village, Panoramic view of snow cap & holy place Muktinath.
It is situated western Nepal, North of Pokhara which is popular trekking trail in Annapurna region. Here we can see different spectacular views of Himalayas. Like: Mt. Dhaulagiri 8167m, Mt. Annapurna I 8091m, Mt.Nilgiri 7040m and so more. Enjoy with mixed ethnic culture such as Bramin , Chhetri, Thakali, Magar, Gurung etc.
Kagbeni is a main entrance of this trekking & our special permits will apply from here. It has many interesting aspects and their ways of life. Upper Mustang area is full of joy. Their have changed little although some rather inappropriate concrete lodges. The following 4 day is a five to six hour hike through arid country up to till Lo-Manthang. The trails here gradually gives way to the Tibetan plateau providing some fascinating rock formations on route. Spending overnight at Lo-Manthang is worth it (which has a oldest Cave Monastery).
we retrace our steps from Next day an hour or so Ghar village. It has in their main managed of its traditional way of life. Our trek will back to Kagbeni.
This special trekking route need to have special permits too which cost $500 for 10 days. Additional days need to pay $50 per/day.
- Arrival and transfer to hotel in Kathmandu Upon arrival in Kathmandu.
- By tourist bus to Pokhara.
- Pokhara to Tatopani,
- Tatopani to Kagbeni via Jomsom (2700m/8855ft),
- Kagbeni to Chele (3050m)
- Chele to Gheling (3570m)
- Gheling to Charang (3560m)
- Charang to Lo Manthang (3810m)
- Exploring day,
- Lo-Manthang to Drakmar(3820m)
- Drakmar to Syanboche(Shyangmochen) 3800m
- Shyangbochen to Chhusang (2980m)
- Chhusang to Muktinath (3800m)
- Muktinath to Jomsom (2700m)
- Jomsom to Pokhara by air
- Return back to Kathmandu by tourist bus
- Arrival and transfer to hotel in Kathmandu Upon arrival in Kathmandu.
Our team member will be waiting outside the airport terminal a few meters from the exit door. Please check your name at Show card. He will bring you to hotel in Kathmandu. The drive from the airport to the hotel is around 20 minutes.After refreshment, we will brief your plan more visibly.
- By tourist bus to Pokhara. The bus journey will take 6 to 7 hours. Just 200 kilometers west of Kathmandu, it is linked by Air and by road from Kathmandu. Along the way we can see nice view of rive band, hill and mountain as well. After arriving Pokhara, It’s offers magnificent views of Dhaulagiri, Fishtail, Manaslu, five peaks of Annapurna and others. This is one of the few places in the world to provide such a dramatic view in a sub-tropical setting. Pokhara’s numerous lakes offer fishing, boating and swimming.
- Pokhara to Tatopani,
Here we can use local buses to get in! Couple of time we can change our vehicle because of landscape and no direct bus too. The road is Nepali bumping so careful of your luggage. We can enjoy with natural hot water in Tatopani.
- Tatopani to Kagbeni via Jomsom(2700m/8855ft)We can go by jeep or buses. Till get Kagbeni (2800m/9185ft) we have lots of River, hill, valley and mountain. Kagbeni is a main gate to Upper Mustang, situated at an altitude of (2,800m). Kagbeni village dates from around the 14th century when it was a check post for traders from Nepal. There is still a checkpoint to control the groups departing for Muktinath and Mustang.
- Kagbeni to Chele (3050m) (approximately 6 hours) The trail takes us to the east bank of the Kaligandakiriver. We traverse several ridges to Tangbe village. This village is a labyrinth of narrow alleys amongst white washed houses, fields of buckwheat, barley, wheat and apple orchards. We can take in the view of the Nilgiri peak which dominates the southern skyline of Kagbeni. Beyond Tangbe we will reach Chhusang village after about 1-½-hrs walking. We cross the river and continue climbing to a huge red chunk of conglomerate that has fallen from the cliffs above, forming a tunnel through which the Kaligandaki flows. We leave the Kali Gandaki valley and climb steeply up a rocky gully to Chele.
- Chele to Gheling (3570m) (Approximately 6 hours) Today we will ascend the treeless, waterless topography, along the side of a spectacular steep canyon to a pass a rock cairn at 3540m. The trail then makes a long gradual descent to Samar village. The Annapurna, still dominated by Nilgiri, is visible far to the south. We’ll climb up above Samar to a ridge and descend into a large gorge. The trail continues through another valley field, crosses a stream and climbs up to a ridge at 3800m. The route traverses another pass, follows a ridge and descends to Syanboche(Shyangbochen). From here, we gently climb to a pass at 3850m and descend into Gheling Village.
- Gheling to Charang (3560m) (Approximately 5 hours)Gheling, the trail climbs gently up to the interesting pass of NYI La and descends below the blue, gray and red cliffs. We cross over the steel bridge of the Tangmar Chu (river) and arrive at the longest Mani wall in Mustang. We climb over another pass at 3,600 m and start the long gentle descent to Charang village. The large five-storey white Dzong and red Gompa are impressive attractions here. We can also observe the collections of statues, Thankas and other large painting of the seated Buddha.
- Charang to Lo Manthang (3810m) (Approximately 4 hours) Our trail ascends steadily until Lo-Gekar. Lo-GekarGompa is older than SamyeGompa in Tibet. It is in fact one of the oldest Gompas in this region. After visiting Lo-Gekar, we continue our Mustang Tour to Lomanthang. The trail to Lo-Manthang is well-defined with some minor climbing. We will pass the walled city of Lo along the trial, then make a short descent, cross a stream and climb to the plateau of Lo-Manthang.
- Exploring day, (Approximately 6 hours) Exploration of NamgyalGompa and Tingkhar, We will hike for two hours to Namgyal Gompa. This is situated on a hilltop and here is an important monastery for the local community. It also supports a local court. After our visit to NamgyalGompa, we continue our tour to Tingkhar. This is the last village to the northwest of Lomanthang with around 40 houses. After visiting both places we will return to Lomanthang.
- Lo-Manthang to Drakmar (3820m) (Approximately 6 hours) Today our trail ascends steadily and offers a last glimpse of Lo Manthang before climbing a ridge at 4050m and continuing to the Chogo La (4280m).This is the highest point on our Upper Mustang Trek. The trail then advances to a short, steep descent and crosses the Charang River. We will climb to Lo Geker and arrive at GharGompa, a small monastery. We then climb the ridge, cross a valley and alpine meadows, and then drop down a steep eroded path to Dhakmar.
- Drakmar to Syanboche(Shyangmochen) 3800m (Approximately 6 hours) The trail now descends, passing the stone walls and fields of Drakmar before climbing to a ridge. It further descends to the lower part of Ghami and then to Jaite (3820m), dropping again to Chhung-Kah. We continue to Tama Gaon (3710m) and down to Shyangmochen.
- Shyangbochen to Chhusang (2980m) (Approximately 6 hours) Our long hike now follows a stream all the way down to Chhusang. We can also take an alternative route to Samar visiting Ranchung Cave. The alternative route is just 30-minutes longer too.
- Chhusang to Muktinath (3800m) (Approximately 7 hours) Today we will follow the stream, pass Chhusang village and make a short steep ascent onto the valley floor. We keep ascending until we reach a small pass from where we can see Muktinath and the red painted Buddhist Monasteries. After traversing the pass, we drop down to the stream and cross via a suspension bridge. We ascend for a while and walk through the villages to Muktinath. This route is very popular for the Fossil stone “Saligrams” which is mainly found between Tetang and Gyu La Pass (4077m). It also offers a terrific 140 degree view of the Annapurna, Dhaulagiri and Tukuche Himalayan range.
- Muktinath to Tatopani, Muktinath is one of most important destinations for Hindu pilgrims and it is also an important place for Buddhists. In the morning, we will visit Muktinath Temple. We can enjoy the magnificent views of Dhaulagiri peak from here. There are water spouts which channel into the stream running above the temple. There is also a Buddhist Monastery nearby.Our trail descends through the village of Jharkot where we can explore the Jharkot monastery too. This is both a Tibetan herbal medical center and an old fortress. We continue our trek back to Jomsom. The views of the Kaligandaki valley and Kagbeni village along the way are truly overwhelming. We pass by EkleBhatti and finally arrive at Jomsom where we can celebrate the completion of the trek with all the trekking staff.
- Jomsom to Pokhara by Land,
- Return back to Kathmandu by tourist bus. The bus journey will take 5 to 6 hours.
Note: As you know Nepal is offering much more then only Trekking so if you have time & interest then you could do some other activities too. Nepal Trekking in Himalaya organize different kind of other activities to make your holiday longer.
- Mountain Flight
- White water rafting
- Jungle Safari
- Bungee Jump
- Mountain Biking
Above holiday itinerary can be customized as our guest specific requirements and we can make shorter and longer. We design your holidays accordingly.
- Transportation for TIA -Hotel -TIA,
- All public transportation during Nepal as our itinerary,
- All government taxes, Annapurna National Park entry fees, TIMS and Mustang permits (Please bring 2 passport size photos for permit)
- Experience English speaking guide and support staff to carry your luggage (two guest = one porter (including their daily wages, life insurances, trekking equipment, food and accommodation).
- Kathmandu-Pokhara-Kathmandu tourist Bus,
- Accommodation & Meals (Breakfast, lunch & dinner) during the treks.
- Medical support: emergency first aid kit carried.
- All food and accommodation during city area.
- Water & any kind of Drinks.
- Tips for guide and porters
- Additional costs in case of emergency (You must have adequate travel insurance to cover any kind of emergencies),
- Personal expenses, any other unforeseen expenses and Personal trekking equipment.
- Services not mentioned herein
Cancellation for this product is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancelling less than 48 hours before the chosen start date no refund applies.
Note:Please ensure names must be exactly the same as your passport (for ticketing/security purposes). You could incur extra costs or even miss your flight if the names are not correct.